Thursday 3 July 2014

Books about Town

My facebook newsfeed has been filing up with lovely photos from friends on making their way through Europe whether its the family holiday (exchanging Melbourne cold for sunny skies), exchange student adventures or going solo travelling. I armchair travel through their travel snaps and am happy that there all having an awesome time even is slightly envious. I think, 'it's ok one day you'll get to that other side of the world too!'

And then this happens... and art + books + park benches + free. Some of my favourite things combine in epic awesomeness! Seriously, it's a park bench in the shape of an open book! I wish I was there in London right now. I'd just wander around, find these benches, sit on them perhaps with a good book to read.

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie Source: booksabouttown.org.uk
What is happening is that this London summer, i.e. right now, is a public art event launched by the National Literary Trust and Wild in Art with "50 unique BookBench sculptures, designed by local artists and famous names to celebrate London’s literary heritage and reading for enjoyment".  

Here are some of my favs: 
Mary Poppins by P. L. Travers







It's like a painting!
Samuel Pepy's Diary
The Lion, the witch and the wardrobe by C.S Lewis
I wonder if we'll ever get something like this in Melbourne. I suppose we might not have that same rich literary heritage but reading for fun should always be encouraged!

Books around Town is happening 2 July - 15 September 2014. All images were taken from there webpage at:  http://www.booksabouttown.org.uk/

No comments:

Post a Comment